There are many conversations stirring up on what it means to be a man in today’s society. And while many might jump to answer muscles, money and a job title, others would claim the heart and actions of a man are what matter most.
As I take a step back and evaluate both sides of the equation, I can’t help but notice the need for a mix of both. I don’t believe a mustache and muscles alone will make a man, but I also don’t believe the actions and mindset alone will make one either. We need to understand that there are many characteristics that play into what being a man is all about. And while many people might have more attributes than others, this doesn’t mean that they are out of the running.
When it comes to being a man equipped with biceps and triceps, I’ll be the first to raise my hand and take a step backwards. I may not have the same form as the men in Muscle Magazine, but it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t go to great lengths to protect my friends and family.
And just because someone makes six-digits a year doesn’t make them any more of a man than someone who only works for minimum wage. Regardless of where you fall in the muscle and money spectrum, we all need to take a step back and realize that it’s not one attribute that makes of breaks a man, but instead a unique combination of mature qualities that work together in radical form.
Muscles and money alone don’t make a man. CLICK TO TWEET
Here are ten things I believe make a real man:
1. A real man protects his friends and family.
2. A real man does everything he can to provide for his household.
3. A real man doesn’t lead women on.
4. A real man treats people with honor and respect.
5. A real man walks in humility, and speaks with integrity.
6. A real man honors the purity of women.
7. A real man goes above and beyond to be above reproach.
8. A real man knows that there is more to life than a title or paycheck.
9. A real man leads himself closer to God.
10. A real man will always lend a helping hand to someone in need.
Would you agree? It’s okay if you don’t. Everyone has their own idea of what a real man looks like, but I wouldn’t disagree that the previous list makes a pretty good start.
– Jarrid Wilson
What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below.