Here are 20 things people over 20 should stop doing. And believe me, I’ve been guilty of most of them.
1. Playing video games instead of looking for a job.
Video games can be extremely fun, but those games can sure take up a lot of valuable time that could be spent on more important areas of life. There is nothing wrong with playing them, as long as you balance the time needed for school, work, and other important aspects of life.
2. Spending money you don’t have.
Credit cards may seem like an easy way to pay for things you really want, but in the long run they could really hurt you if not properly used. Stick to cash, debit, or checks. This may seem old-school, but they will definitely help you manage your money.
3. Using the term “YOLO.”
Simple. Please stop using it.
4. Only going to church to find a relationship.
Not only will you hurt yourself in the long run, but you are also selfishly taking time away from a man or woman who is seeking after God’s wisdom and guidance. You can definitely find a great relationship at church, but don’t make that your only reason for attending.
5. Citing “-Google” on a college paper or work presentation.
It’s not a valid citation, and it could get you in some trouble.
6. Thinking you know it all.
Nobody want’s to spend time around a know-it-all. Walk in a posture of learning, and embrace every opportunity to gain new knowledge and wisdom.
7. Dating with no vision.
You’re confusing your heart, and you’re hurting the hearts of others.
8. Demanding respect before you’ve earned it.
Don’t get prideful. Learn to scrub the floors before you ask to manage the building. Don’t let self entitlement get the best of you.
9. Waiting until the last minute to do things.
Stop procrastinating! Teach yourself diligence in all circumstances. Not only will this help you in your day-to-day life, but it will always help you set yourself up for the future.
10. Getting in arguments over social media.
Nobody wants to see your drama on their news feed. Keep it to yourself and the people involved. Handle each situation in a mature and honorable manner.
11. Blaming others for your own mistakes
Drop your pride. Accept your failures. Learn from your mistakes. You will learn a lot from the process.
12. Relying on your mother and father to constantly bail you out of trouble.
Learn to take care of yourself instead of always relying on your mother and father. They aren’t always going to be around to help you.
13. Calling off work for no reason.
You aren’t doing anyone a favor by calling off. Learn to be responsible, and value that job someone else in the world wishes they had.
14. Ignoring wisdom from people who are older than you.
You don’t know everything. Take time to learn from people who having been living longer than you.
15. Thinking minimum wage is worse than no job at all.
Don’t believe the lie that money is everything. Any job is a good start. Give your full attention to any job, no matter the pay.
16. Pretending like you didn’t know any better.
Purposeful ignorance will only get you so far. Own up to your mistakes and take each failure as an opportunity to learn.
17. Using the excuse, “I’m too young.”
You’re never too young. There is always room for you to succeed when hope is on your side. Have faith in yourself and the gifts God has given you.
18. Living in the moment, and not planning for the future.
Be diligent, and plan for the future. Give yourself some goals, dreams, and future aspirations. Give yourself something to wake up for in the morning.
19. Giving up before you start. Stop making excuses!
Excuses won’t get you anywhere! Better to try and fail than to regret never trying at all. At least you will learn something.
20. Being Passive.
If you don’t stand for something, you’ll eventually fall for anything.
No one is perfect, and these points are all things I myself have once struggled with or been witness of.
What else should people over 20 stop doing? Leave a comment below!